Sunday, July 25, 2010

Lamb Chop on the dig

Last Friday, on my day off (since we're in Israel, the weekend is Friday and Saturday. Shabbat.), I hiked all the way up the mountain to explore the dig site. You know, because hiking partway up the mountain every morning at 5 AM and digging for seven hours for the previous five days wasn't enough. We left early in the morning to beat the heat, however much that is possible in Israel. Because my roommates were all still asleep, I got dressed and grabbed my backpack in the dark.
The beautiful view of the Golan on the hike up.

I really shouldn't have been surprised, being that the Lamb Chops have been stowaways before, but I didn't really think any of them would want to leave the nice air conditioned room and see the dusty dig site. However, once I got to the site at the top of the hill, I heard some coughing from inside my backpack. So, I opened it up.

Gasp! There's no air in that backpack!
Oh, Baby LC! I told you to stay in the room! Do you know how dirty you could get up here? I'll have to give you a bath! And...

Awwwwwwww...alright, it's okay, Baby LC. You must really want to see what digging is like, huh? I'll show you around, how does that sound? We'll be careful not to get too dirty.

Here is Lamb Chop outside of the excavated church area. We are currently digging behind the apse (the semicircle at the front of the church). Smile!

Yes, Lamb Chop. It's very hot up here. Do you want to use a hat for some shade?

Hmm. Maybe not.

Wheeee! Lamb Chop gets a ride in the sifter, which we use to search for treasure around floor level.

You see this square, Lamb Chop? I dug it out in the first two weeks with my bare hands. And some tools.

At the door to the excavated room. Knock knock! Who's there? Lamb Chop! Lamb Chop who? Lamb Chop, your friend!
That's not...awwwwwwww. Oh well. It's cute.

Lamb Chop looks at the hole where we found a complete pottery jar, three glass bottles, a bronze decanter, a ring, a scarab, and a carved dancing figure.
Lamb Chop, look! There's another treasure here in this corner!
...
You!
Awwwwwww. I love you too.

Lambchop looks at the square I am working on in the last two weeks of the dig. She is baffled by the strange pipe and fixture in the corner! What did I find? It's a mystery!

Look what we dug up!
But you know what we do with buckets, right Lamb Chop?
Empty them off over the cliff!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Oh, Lamb Chop, it's okay, I was just kidding. I wasn't going to...awwwww. I'm sorry. Here, let's get you out of the bucket and...

...Awwwwwwwwwww. I'll hold you and not let go, okay?

Lamb Chop had to go to the bathroom, so I brought her to it.
What's that? Where? That's it.
...You know, through the thorns and rocks and by the wall. Be careful, though, because there can be snakes, scorpions, and bugs hiding in the rocks.
What? You don't want to go anymore?
Oh. You don't need to go anymore.
It's okay, Lamb Chop. I'll change you when we get back.

We went back to the site, where Lamb Chop crawled into this cistern head tipped on its side and fell asleep. She needed a cozy spot to rest after such a thrilling day!
Sleep tight, Lamb Chop. I'll be sure not to wake you on the hike down the mountain.

2 comments:

  1. Lamb Chop clutching to your leg was soooo cute and too funny. I laughed and went "Awww" at the same time. :p (As did mom :D.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the proof that Baby Lambchop is arguably the cutest of the Lambchops.

    ReplyDelete