Thursday, August 26, 2010

Storytime with the Lamb Chops

Lately, I've been letting each of the Lamb Chops choose an activity for us all to do in the evening. Last night, it was Young and Agile LC's turn, so she decided she wanted us all to read a story, and she would read it aloud.

Hmm. Interesting choice. I thought it was a bit ambitious of Young and Agile LC to get the others to pay attention, but they all gathered around quietly to listen.

"Is not silence more painful than death?"

"Well, I know I'm in pain from being silent!"
I forgot to mention. Original LC was peeved that we didn't get to do her choice of activity, so she had some major 'tude.

Football LC thought it was funny, but the other Lamb Chops comforted poor Young and Agile LC. I gave her back the book that fell on the floor, and she started again.

Football LC was trying not to laugh.
Young and Agile LC continued, "Her beauty was like a gift of poetry."

"Haha! So was her beauty fictional? Or was it long and boring? Oh, I know! I bet it rhymed! Yeah! Up top, Football Lamb Chop!"
Uh oh. This time, Mommy LC started to get the giggles. Things weren't looking good, but Young and Agile LC persevered.

"But poets are unhappy people, for, no matter how high their spirits reach, they will still be enclosed in an envelope of tears." She paused for dramatic effect.

Which was lost on the Lamb Chops. Even kind-hearted Christmas LC couldn't help but crack a smile. They all laughed and laughed and laughed. Young and Agile LC was not amused.

So, she stormed away. "This is why we can't be cultured in this house!"
I felt it was necessary to scold the Lamb Chops, since they had ruined Young and Agile LC's special activity night. They were all ashamed.

Except Original LC. The 'tude remained. "Big deal! It's not my fault she picked a stupid activity!"

"Hey! What gives?"
I put Original LC in the corner for time-out and told her that she wouldn't get to have her own activity night until she apologized.
She wouldn't.
I explained to her that everyone likes doing different things, and part of being a family is being supportive of everyone's various interests.
She said, "Oh yeah? What if someone's interest was drinking out of the toilet? Huh?"
I paused.

Then I said, "I see what you're trying to say. Well, Original LC, I support your decision to drink out of the toilet, and I'm sure all of the other Lamb Chops will support you once I tell them."
"What? Hey! No! I don't--that's not--don't tell them that! I'll apologize! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Can I come out of the corner now?"
I said I wouldn't tell the other Lamb Chops but that she needed to stay in the corner a little longer and think about how she had treated Young and Agile LC.
There may be hope for this rascal! She's learning!

2 comments:

  1. Poor Young and Agile LC. Phew, that name is a mouthful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Christine! How you handled that unruly lamb! You're going to make a wonderful mother some day ;)

    ReplyDelete